Hierarchical Transactive Energy Management System (HTEMS) is proposed not only to promote purchase/sale of energy transactions but also to solve the intermittency and variability of renewable energy sources (RESs) when they are integrated as part of the utility grid. A power hardware-in-the-loop (PHIL) platform is developed to test out the hardware controllers and converter design via the 4-quadrant three-phaser power amplifiers and to enhance the research capabilities for the smart grid technologies.
A low-cost transformer-less flexible power quality conditioner (FPQC) is invented to solve the power quality (PQ) problems of power systems due to the increasing usage of power converters. A series of multiport converters are developed to facilitate the integration of RESs into the power grid with the least number of components and acceptable cost.
The proposed technology can be applied in the energy industry:
- MPC-based LFC algorithm can be implemented to arrest the frequency variations of the power grid with better performance results than those of the state-of-art PI-based LFC algorithm
- Transformer-less FPQC can be commercialised to replace the conventional unified power quality conditioner with the objective of reducing the investment cost
- Multiport converter can be commercialised to achieve the integration of the increasing RESs while reducing the cost of converter system
- The proposed HTEMS improves the cost-effectiveness for the multi-usage of BESS aggregation
- Compared with the conventional PI-based LFC, the proposed MPC-based LFC can stabilize the system frequency in a shorter time period. The settling time is improved from 23s to 12s during the case studies when load changes are introduced
- The operation cost of the multiple interconnected microgrids can be reduced under different case studies using the proposed secure distributed transactive energy management system and MPC-based controller
- The profit of the generation aggregator can be increased using the intelligent decision-support tool for optimal generation bidding
- By replacing the unified power quality conditioner with the proposed transformer-less FPQC, the cost for solving the power quality problems can be significantly reduced